Moveable Harveest is a concept for reducing food waste by growing in small biodegradeable containers. Live greens and herbs are transported to farmers markets, grocery stores, restaurants, and homes. The harvest is moved closer to the time of actual use so that produce not used this week will be alive and fresh next week.
With a Sunstation it’s easy to get a wide variety of plants, including tomatoes, off to a good start. Trickier is finding good compact tomato varieties that will produce delicious fruit when grown indoors.
We planted the seeds for these Totem tomatoes on November 30 and put them in bigger pots on February 7. The next step will be to move them to a spot with a light that encourages blooming rather than growth. We will experiment with giving the plants a little less water as the fruits are maturing, as this may enhance flavor. We’ll let you know!
Some suggest that to grow kale you need a 5 gallon container. Using our method, we grow beautiful kale indoors in 6 1/2 inch pots – about 1 1/2 quarts. Check out the video!
Last week Daylight Design donated and set up a Sunstation at Iona House in Washington, DC. Iona House provides adult daycare services, with a focus on art therapy. We’re looking forward to seeing how program participants react to the opportunity to garden indoors using the Sunstation!
Recent research by USDA scientist Gene Lester has come up with an interesting finding about spinach and other greens. Bagged greens in the front of a supermarket case, under lights, are more nutritious than identical greens of the same age at the back of the case, where it is darker. Apparently, the plants keep photosynthesizing (and creating vitamins) as long as there is a light source. Sounds like a good reason to grow greens under lights, and harvest right before eating!
Every spring we start kale on our Sunstation for later transplanting outdoors. We love kale, and I try to keep our plants going through the hot summer days and into fall. That’s asking a lot of a cool season plant! This year I managed to start seeds in late summer for a fall planting. Our second crop was ready for transplant when the hottest part of summer was past.
Unfortunately my tender new transplants were quickly under attack by hordes of white flies. (My bad; they migrated from our spring crop, which I had left in the ground.) This was a serious infestation, and the tender shoots of my young plants were pretty much devoured.
That was when I decided it was time to try growing our kale indoors. We wanted something compact, so we selected a variety called Dwarf Blue Curled Scotch. It has exceeded our expectations. We have had two substantial harvests from our plants so far, selecting the large outer leaves and letting the inner ones continue to grow.
I’ve left my outdoor kale to fend for itself, in hopes that once we get a frost and lose the bugs, the plants will recover. They continue to produce new little leaves, so it just might work. Kale is supposed to taste even better after a frost, so I’m crossing my fingers. Next year, my plan is to grow kale outdoors in the spring, pull it out in summer when it is most vulnerable to bugs and heat, and plant out more in the fall. In summer and winter, kale will be one of our indoor crops.
We just got back from Seven Springs, PA, where we exhibited at the 3 day Mother Earth News Fair. It was a great show, with a friendly and enthusiastic crowd, lots of interesting exhibits, and some big name speakers. Too bad we couldn’t spend more time checking out the fair, but the Daylight Design booth got a lot of traffic, and we were busy!
The lettuce growing on our Sunstation looked so good that several people suggested turning it into salad on the spot. One person was a little miffed that we wouldn’t sell it to him at the end of the show. And John’s newly designed Wall Garden was a big hit. People liked it as an attractive way to grow greens—and a kind of ever-changing wall art.
A few months back someone gave me a large, healthy African violet. I noticed some smaller babies within the pot, and started wondering about propagation. The instructions I came across on the web couldn’t be simpler: cut a healthy leaf with plenty of stem, preferably one towards the center of the plant. Stick it in a pot of dirt, provide light and water, and wait.
So I cut 4 healthy leaves, and placed each in a Feetpot. For quite awhile nothing happened. The leaves continued to look green and healthy, they obviously weren’t dead, but no sign of a new plant. Finally, after about a month, I noticed a little disturbance on the soil surface in one of the pots. Sure enough, over a few days, a tiny leaf began to emerge in each of the pots. In another month, each pot had a small plant well underway. A couple more months, and finally a flower, more flowers, and then an explosion of blossoms!